Poets Know It

Just the amiable ramblings of a post menopausal woman about her life, family, loves, etc.

My Photo
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States

Divorced, mother of 3 grandma of 9 (I started young)

Friday, December 29, 2006

Home Again

Had my surgery on December 13th at planned. Spent 5 days in hospital and then nearly a week with one daughter and then the other. Came back to my own home the day after Christmas. I cannot begin to tell you how good it is to be in my own bed again. I love and appreciate my daughters to no end but there is no place like home. Ol Dorothy knew what she was talking about. I just know I am getting better, faster, since coming home. Although still not sleeping very well still. Okay not to get ahead of myself I will tell you about my surgery and events surrounding it.
Got up at 5 a.m. to go to hospital. Took my shower and picked up daughter and off we went. Got to hospital and I checked in. They took me back and got me gowned and blood drawn and weight taken (which was 301). I sat back to wait and they brought daughter back to sit with me. Eventually the anesthesiologist came back and put in an i.v. Soon came my surgeon, Dr. Margaret Inman. I like her very much and have much confidence in her. I would recommend her highly to anyone wanting Bariatric Surgery. Even though I had some complications after surgery I don't believe they were caused by her in any way.
They walked me back to the OR (this is the first time ever I have walked under my own power back to surgery). I was just a Happy Humphrey. No I didn't have any happy drugs, I just felt like I was doing the right thing all along. I laid down on the table and they put the mask over my face and I drifted off to slumberland. That is the last thing I remember for 2 days. Literally.
I guess I scared my daughter to death with my hallucinations and ramblings on Thursday the 14th but I don't remember any of that. My kidneys decided to stop working effectively and I was only absorbing 70% oxygen and they put me on a c-pap machine which I hated because it made me claustrophobic. Due to retaining fluids after surgery I skyrocketed to 338 lbs by the time I got released from hospital. They catherized me but eventually my kidneys started working alright again. For a couple of days I had trouble holding on to anything. I dropped my cups and anything else I tried to pick up. I had to have 7 gown changes in one day due to spills. They were so very kind to me there though and never made me feel like I was putting them out or was a bother. You would think they would clap when it came time for me to leave but they gave out hugs and well wishes when I left. After 5 days they sent me home and I went to my daughters, Missy's home. I proceeded to fall down the next morning when getting up out of bed. Can you imagine trying to lift someone who now weighed 338. That was a tough one so after that I was scared to get up by myself. I stayed with her and her family from Tuesday till Saturday and then went to other daughter's home, Chelle and stayed till day after Christmas when I went to see Primary Care Physician and then came home. I am doing better now. I weighed 304 yesterday so the fluid is coming off. I am taking my vitamins like a good girl.
Drinking lots of fluids like Crystal Lite, Water and milk. Eating applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, jello, sugar free popsicles etc.
I have gotten out and driven 2 times to the pharmacy to get prescriptions and managed to do that but it wiped me out for the rest of the day. Primary care doc put me on iron pills today so I must be anemic which I would think would not be unusual after surgery.
I will try to do better about updating my blog as things move along.


Post a Comment

<< Home